Associate Professor of History and Law, Case Western Reserve University, Ohio
John W. Kluge Fellow - Class of Spring 2004
Kenneth Ledford practiced law for four years in Virginia before turning to the study of history. He joined the Case Department of History in 1991 and was appointed to the law faculty in 1996.
He has published numerous articles and a book, From General Estate to Special Interest: German Lawyers 1878- 1933 (Cambridge University Press, 1996). His most recent article is “Formalizing the Rule of Law in Prussia: The Supreme Administrative Law Court, 1876-1914,” Central European History 203 (2004). His current research focuses on the Prussian judiciary from 1794 to 1914. He has been a Fulbright Senior Research Fellow and held fellowships from the German Academic Exchange Service and German Marshall Fund of the United States. He is active in the American Society for Legal History and serves on the editorial board of the Law and History Review and is the editor of Central European History.