Jobs / Internships
The American Academy in Berlin is currently accepting applications for a Development Director, New York Office.
The American Academy seeks a Development Director for its New York Office to strengthen its development efforts in the United States. This position reports to the President and the Chair of the Development Committee and will be supported by one team member. The Development Director will work closely together with the Development Office for Germany in Berlin as well as the Program Department in Berlin.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Strategize and lead efforts in the U.S. to engage corporations, foundations and individuals;
- Provide general oversight of all U.S. development activities and manage all development activities in the U.S., including prospect research, proposal development, approaches and grant-writing;
- Develop, prepare, and execute stewardship programs for U.S. donors and prospects to ensure long term financial sustainability;
- Ensure funding opportunities and develop ideas for philanthropic support from the U.S., including capital campaign efforts;
- Work with Academy staff and outside experts to identify future topics with potential funding relevance;
- Report regularly to the President of the Academy, and the Chair of the Development Committee on the development efforts in the U.S. Seek guidance on important policy and operational issues;
- Liaise with Trustees to best engage them in fundraising efforts;
- Budget responsibility.
We are looking for a results-oriented creative thinker to build up sustainable support for the American Academy in Berlin from U.S. donors. The Development Director has the opportunity to help create a compelling case for the American Academy in Berlin and its programs from a U.S. perspective. This is a role where intellectual rigor and superb communication skills will be fully utilized. Candidates are sought with strong organizational skill and managerial experience to spearhead projects that involve resident and virtual team members from both sides of the Atlantic.
- Exceptional creative ability in conceiving, shaping, negotiating and implementing business development and fundraising strategy and activities that support new and ongoing programs;
- Analytic, communications and management skills commensurate with the role should be demonstrated from a record of experience, accomplishment of goals and production of documented outcomes;
- Significant U.S. and international experience that provides contacts and insights on which to shape forward strategy;
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible, upper-level development experience;
- Willing to travel domestically and to Germany;
- Proficient in using electronic communications to inform colleagues and manage collaborative projects;
- Skilled at aligning development efforts across the entire organization;
- Comfortable in making public presentations, negotiating and closing deals, supporting senior directors, and cultivating external stakeholders is essential;
- Highest proficiency in oral and written English is a required, and proficiency in German is highly desirable;
- Intercultural competencies.
The position will be full-time. The post-holder will be located at the Academy’s New York Office. Our preferred start date is July 2016.
Please send your application to: Coralie Wörner, Head of Personnel, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and for questions call +49 (30) 804 83 109.
For calling within the US, please contact Judy Stupp, the Academy's New York Representative, at 1+ (212) 588 1755